Monday, November 23, 2015

The Deeper Life? What is It?

So I’m attending a Deeper Life weekend.  I’d be curious what you think the Deeper Life is? 

When you read the end of Hebrews 5 and the beginning of Hebrews 6, does it impact your answer?

Hebrews 5:11-6:3
11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, 2 instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And God permitting, we will do so.

Do we ever move “beyond the elementary teachings”?  Let me know what you think.



8 comments:

strawberri414 said...

The deeper life to me is a life of obedience to God seeking His will no matter the circumstances. It is understanding that we are righteous only because of and through Christ alone. It is understanding when we fail or when we are victorious, it is all the same. It is a life like Job's; when the boils come upon our flesh and our families and friends revile us says, "Glory to God because He had allowed it". It is a life like Abraham's; when God asks us to sacrifice the things we hold most dear says, "Glory to God, because He has provided". It is a life like the apostles; WHEN God says take up your cross and follow me, says "Glory to God, because He will never leave me or forsake me". It is a life like David's; when God blesses us with abundance, happiness and fulfillment says, "Glory to God because His blessing are poured out onto His children". I hope always to be His servant, His instrument; I hope to be His and His alone.

strawberri414 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
strawberri414 said...

Is it attainable??? YES, through Jesus alone.

Jon Dunwell said...

You are making me think. I keep thinking that this deeper life is found in living for Him and through Him. It's about allowing oneself to be set apart for His total purposes. It's about living this life led and fueled by His Spirit. It's about Him getting more of us and not about us getting more of Him. Still thinking....

Jon Dunwell said...

For me it's about being on the journey more than the destination. I guess I always immerse it in relationship.

strawberri414 said...

What if total purposes mean you have to be separated from Him forever? Like Judas Iscariot? Do we then accept our path? Or do we fight to be counted among the saints? Or is that to weird a question?

strawberri414 said...

What if total purposes mean you have to be separated from Him forever? Like Judas Iscariot? Do we then accept our path? Or do we fight to be counted among the saints? Or is that to weird a question?

Jon Dunwell said...

From my perspective, God desires that all would be saved. That would be His purpose.
God desires that I would rest in His love and His purposes for me.
God desires that I would join in the union of love experienced by the Trinity.
God desire these things for me. Part of my journey is realizing that He has my best in mind and His direction can be trusted.

God also respects my free-will. He has endowed me with the ability to reject His purposes in my life.